Pages

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Grandfather James and Uncle Hugh



Earlier this year I renewed my efforts to find the ancestry of my 3rd Great Grandparents James Wilson and Marion Moore of Scotland. Grandfather James’ brother, Hugh Wilson, has become my lucky charm always helping me piece the family together. In his will, Uncle Hugh bequeathed monies to James’ children. After finding my 2nd Great Grandfather Walter Wilson’s surviving siblings, I found 3rd Great Grandmother Marion (Moore) Wilson living with a daughter. You can read my earlier post Thank you, Uncle Hugh, for details. I soon began a quest to learn about my 2nd Grandfather Walter Wilson’s sisters and brothers (all children of James Wilson and Marion Moore). On Feb. 24th I dedicated a post to The Wilson Sisters—Marion, Ann, and Janett and earlier this month I did the same for The Wilson Brothers—Hugh, Walter, and John.

Today I’ll post what I’ve been able to learn about the Scots I call family.

Ties to Scotland

3rd Great Grandfather James Wilson and his brother Hugh both were born in Scotland. I estimate Grandfather James’ birth about 1800 and believe he died before 1850. According to Uncle Hugh’s tombstone, his birth date was Sept. 23, 1794, and death May 19, 1881. Census records confirm their birthplace to be Scotland. As of this writing, I have no clue about their parentage.

Meet the Wives

Both brothers married women born in Scotland. My ancestor James Wilson married Marion Moore probably in the 1820’s. I don’t know if James wed Marion in Scotland or if they married in the United States. After following Marion in the census records, I calculate her birth to be approximately 1800. The last time I found her in a census was 1870. You can read more about Grandmother here.

Hugh Wilson married a lady named Charlotte. Hugh’s son, James, born 1817 in Scotland indicates Hugh and Charlotte wed in Scotland. Charlotte’s tombstone engraving at the Greenville Cemetery (also known as Hickory Street Cemetery) in Norwich, Connecticut provides a birth date of June 21, 1792, and death on October 18, 1877.

Speculation

Familysearch.org has ‘Scotland Marriages, 1561-1910’ in their collection. I searched for any ‘Hugh Wilson’ that married ‘Charlotte’ and got two results similar to each other. Both marriages took place in December 1816. Hugh wed Charlotte Scrimgeour Dec. 15th in Barony, Lanark, Scotland. The Dec. 31st ceremony took place in Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland marrying Hugh to Charlotte Scrimper

 
 

Is this my 3rd Great Granduncle Hugh who immigrated to New London County, Connecticut around the 1820’s? If you say the brides’ surnames, it possible Charlotte Scrimgeour and Charlotte Scrimger could be the same individual. If this turns out to be true, I would like to know why the marriage dates and event places differ. 

Any advice is welcome! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment