Pages

Monday, January 15, 2018

I, Abraham Bennet, Do Make and Publish my Last Will and Testament, Feb. 4, 1842, Minisink, NY

On March 1, 1785 Abraham Bennett married Lydia Shultz in Goshen, Orange Co., New York. When they wed, Abraham was 20 and Lydia 15 years old. They raised 7 sons and 8 daughters.

In a recent post, Introducing Alvah’s parents: Abraham Bennet and Lydia Schultz, a newspaper account stated 4th Great Grandfather Abraham Bennett was born on a farm near Springside station, in the town of Wawayanda, in 1764. A little Orange County, New York history is needed here. During Great Grandfather’s lifetime, there was no town of Wawayanda; he resided in the town of Minisink. It wasn’t until 1849 that the Wawayanda Township was carved out of Minisink lands. This is why you’ll see the family referred to as Wawayanda and Minisink residents.

From 4th Great Grandfather Abraham Bennett’s will, I learned about his final wishes. His last will and testament was written one day before Grandfather’s death on Feb. 5, 1842 identifying 12 of his children. He provided generously for his wife as well as single and married daughters except for one. Daughter Azubah Bennet received the smallest legacy amounting to only $5. The Executors’ petition revealed no one knew where she lived. Somehow Azubah became estranged from her father.

Abraham bequeathed $10 legacies to the older Bennet brothers, Benjamin, Samuel, Levi, and Abraham. My ancestor Alve Bennet, the youngest, inherited Grandfather’s farm.

Transcription copied from Orange County, NY Will Book L, pages 370-374:

The last will and testament of Abraham Bennet of the Town of Minisink County of Orange and State of New York.  I Abraham Bennet considering the uncertainty of this mortal life, and being in a feeble state of health, but of a sound mind and memory, (blessed be Almighty God for the same) Do make and publish this my last will and Testament in manner and form following  That is to say First I order and direct my said Executors to Pay my Funeral expenses and all my Just and honest debts.  Second I give and bequeath unto my beloved wife Lydia Bennet during her natural life the use of fifty acres of Land situate on the North East corner of my farm in the Town of Minisink Commencing on the Road leading from Charles Mills to Middletown and on the north side of the Lane and crossing said lane leading to my Dwelling house so as to include the watering place, my Dwelling house and about sixteen feet from the south end of the Barn including said barn and out buildings upon said fifty acres, and I order and direct that my three Daughters named Polly Bennet, Lydia Bennet & Nancy Bennet have the privilege and Right in the above mentioned premises for a home so long as they or either of them remain single and unmarried and during the lifetime of my wife Lydia Bennet, I also give and bequeath to my wife Lydia Bennet the sum of one hundred Dollars, also four cows, and one horse. The above Legacies left to my said wife Lydia Bennet is to be in lieu of her Dower Right, I give and bequeath the above mentioned and Described land Containing fifty acres after the Death of my Wife Lydia Bennet unto my three Daughters named, Polly Bennet, Lydia Bennet & Nancy Bennet, I give and bequeath my wife Lydia Bennet and my three Daughters named Lydia Bennet, Polly Bennet & Nancy Bennet All my household furniture Beds & Bedding to be equally divided between them.  I give and bequeath unto my Daughter Polly Bennet the sum of One hundred Dollars and also three cows to be kept upon the above mentioned 50 acres of Land, I give and bequeath to my Daughter Lydia Bennet the sum of One hundred Dollars, I give and bequeath to my Daughter Nancy Bennet the sum of One hundred Dollars  I give and bequeath to my Son Alve Bennet the residue and remainder of my farm situate in the town of Minisink afforsaid and supposed to contain about seventy six acres of land be the same more or less  I also give and bequeath to my Son Alve Bennet one two horse waggon and one sett two horse harness, I give and bequeath to my four sons named Benjamin Bennet, Samuel Bennet, Levi Bennet, & Abraham Bennet the sum of ten Dollars each, I give and bequeath unto my Daughter Azubah Bennet the sum of five Dollars Provided the said Azubah shall call on my said Executors for the same. I give and bequeath unto my Daughter Penelope Crawford wife of Oliver Crawford the sum of fifty Dollars. I give and bequeath unto my daughter Hannah Thorne wife of Thomas Thorne the sum of fifty Dollars, I give and bequeath unto my Daughter Esther Kerby wife of David Kerby the sum of fifty Dollars. And lastly as to all the rest residue and remainder of my personal estate goods and chattles of what kind and nature soever I give and bequeath unto my daughter named Polly Bennet. I Direct and Request my said Executors to pay the within mentioned Legacies as soon as convenient. I Do hereby nominate and appoint my son Alve Bennet and Benjamin Bennet of the village of Middletown Executors of this my last will and testament hereby Revoking all former wills by me made – In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this fourth day of February in the year of our Lord One thousand eight hundred forty two - two
Abraham Bennett
X
his mark

The above instrument, consisting of one Sheet was now here subscribed by Abraham Bennet the testator, in the presence of each of us: and was at the same time declared by him to be his last will and testament and we at his request sign our names hereto, as attesting witnesses
Charles Mills Town of Minisink
Henry S. Beakes Town of Wallkill

February 14, 1842 Abraham’s sons and executors Alve and Benjamin Bennet petitioned the Surrogate of Orange County, New York to accept Grandfather’s will. The document included Abraham Bennet’s next of kin and heirs regardless of whether they inherited or not. I found two sons, Christian and William Bennet, predeceased their father. Christian’s son, also named Christian, and William’s daughters, Emeline Parker and Frances Anderson, filled out the family tree. A special guardian was appointed for the three grandchildren as they were minors.


Petition from Abraham Bennet’s Estate Packet
Filed Orange County Surrogate Court, Goshen, NY

This petition is a gem. It tells the names of Abraham and Lydia’s children with their whereabouts in February 1842. I have the feeling Benjamin and Alve listed the heirs starting with the Widow and then naming the children from oldest to youngest. The notes I’ve added for each Bennet child are what I’ve been able to locate. If you can add or correct the family facts, please do.

1.    Benjamin Bennet born March 7, 1786; married 2 times; died April 29, 1861 Orange Co., NY. Benjamin’s Letter of Administration identified his 2nd wife Sophia Jane and children Stephen, Samuel, Elijah, Eliza, and Edgar. The 2nd Mrs. Bennet, Sophia Jane, received a widow’s pension from the Government owing to Benjamin’s service during the War of 1812. Benjamin belonged to Capt. David Christie’s New York Militia in a Regiment commanded by Col. Isaac Belknap enlisting August 1814. He was discharged honorably near New York City Nov. 16, 1814. Sophia Jane Bennet provided a description of her husband: six foot high, light complexion, light-grey eyes, and light hair. The pension application identifies Benjamin’s 1st wife Mary Hosier. Benjamin Bennet was Sophia Jane’s 2nd husband; they married Feb. 1, 1851 Orange County, NY. Most likely Mary Hosier was the mother of Stephen, Samuel, Elijah, and Eliza and Sophia Jane Edgar’s mother. You can view the pension online at Fold3.com. [https://www.fold3.com/image/247/292304237]
2.    Polly (aka Mary) Bennet born October 27, 1787; never married, died October 20, 1882 living to be about 94 years old.
3.    Christian Bennet predeceased his father. Christian married and had a son also named Christian (who was included in his grandfather Abraham’s list of heirs). Christian Otto Schultz, 1712-1785, and his American Descendants compiled by Enid Dickenson Collins, Brooklyn, N. Y., October 1942, page 116 states Christian was born April 12, 1789 and died March 1829. In Alfred Mathews’ work, History of Wayne, Pike, and Monroe Counties, Pennsylvania, he notes Christian Bennett located at an early date north of James Bigelow’s place in Mount Pleasant, Wayne Co., PA.
4.    Samuel Bennet born Nov. 23, 1790, settled in Mount Pleasant, Wayne Co., PA. His wife’s name was Mary. Samuel died Feb. 2, 1867 and Mary passed June 6, 1868. Both are buried in Sherwood Cemetery, Wayne Co., PA. A daughter, Sarah J. (Bennet) Wilcox, was born July 18, 1813 in Damascus, PA; died Mount Pleasant March 5, 1906. Another daughter, Lydia A. Bennet born 1815, died 1888. Probably more children. Alfred Mathews' History of Wayne, Pike, and Monroe Counties, Pennsylvania, Chapter XXIII covering Mount Pleasant, page 652, states: Samuel Bennett, brother of Levi, settled on the mountain in the southwestern part of the township.
5.    Azuba Bennet born May 9, 1792, married John C. Willis, died Dec. 3, 1870. The 1865 NYS census reveals Azubah married 2 times and was a parent to 2 children. John C. Willis was her husband at that date and they lived near Alvah Bennett and sisters Mary and Nancy.
6.    William Bennet born Feb. 2, 1794, married Frances Stickney, died July 26, 1839 according to Enid Dickenson Collins. William died a few years before his father but his daughters Emeline Parker and Frances Anderson were named as next of kin.
7.    Levi Bennet born about 1795/6, married 1st Dillie Denning, 2nd wife Elizabeth Craig October 1835, Wayne Co., PA. Levi died Dec. 26, 1877, interred at Sherwood Cemetery, Wayne Co., PA. Elizabeth Bennett died March 25, 1885. Levi was also of War of 1812 veteran serving in Orange County’s Capt. John Dunning’s Company of the New York Militia. A pension file is online at Fold3.com https://www.fold3.com/image/247/292801383 Alfred Mathews' History of Wayne, Pike and Monroe Counties, Pennsylvania, page 652, Mount Pleasant, Wayne Co. Chapter XXIII states “Capt. Levi Bennett located on the place now owned by his son, Malden Bennett. He was a prominent man.” Levi’s will identify children Malden Bennet, Horatio D. Bennet, Levi Bennet Jr., Mahala Van Metre, Theresa A. Elmendorf, and Susan Galord.
8.    Hannah Bennet, born Jan. 13, 1797, married Thomas Thorne, died Nov. 26, 1883 Wallkill, Orange Co., NY. They raised a large family in Orange County.
9.    Abraham Bennet born October 24, 1798, married Eleanor Ross, died Wayne Co., PA May 1863. Alfred Mathews’ History of Wayne, Pike, and Monroe Counties, PA, Lebanon Township Chapter XXI, pages 619-620 writes “The farm is now owned by Virgil Brooks. At this point a road leads east; the first farm upon it was taken by Abraham Bennett, of Orange County, N. Y., who married a Ross. He left three sons,--Abraham, Alva, and Joseph R., and three daughters.”
10. Margaret Bennet, born April 24, 1800, died at the age of 16 years May 31, 1816. Margaret’s buried in Pine Hill Cemetery, Middletown, NY near her parents.
11. Penelope Bennet, born Feb. 27, 1802, married Oliver Crawford, died Nov. 16, 1864 Wallkill, Orange Co., NY. Penelope and Oliver raised a large family—James B., Nancy C., Oliver, Mary, Lydia, John H., Esther, George, William, Abram, and Jane.
12. Lydia Bennet born about 1803. Lydia married Joseph Bailey Crane a few years after her father’s death. She passed Sept. 19, 1846 in Ohio.
13. Esther Bennet Aug. 17, 1805, married David B. Kirby May 25, 1826, died June 21, 1882. Their children were Abram B., Oliver C., Gilbert B., Oscar P., David S., Esther Ann, Laura Frisby, and Jane Talmadge. The family lived in Wayne Co., PA returning to Orange Co. NY in 1852.
14. Nancy Bennet born June 12, 1809, never married, died Nov. 8, 1884.
15. Alvah Bennet born May 12, 1812, married Esther Penny Feb. 15, 1834, died August 21, 1890. Children of Alvah and Esther: Theodore, William H., Fanny Jane, Esther Almeda, Abby Anna, John F., Harriet Augusta, Sarah Elizabeth, Abraham, David Winfield, Christianna, and Ida L.

When I next write about the Bennett’s, I’ll tell you a story from Abraham’s boyhood.


2 comments:

  1. Wow, wow, wow!!! I had my line a little confused when I posted to you before, but this has straightened it out for me. Thank you so very much!! Emeline Parker was my great great grandmother. Her husband was Benjamin B Parker. They lived in Lumberland Township, Sullivan County and that is where William Bennet died. This helped me a lot!! Thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete