Pages

Thursday, January 25, 2018

Invite to Dinner #52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks

I’d make my roasted chicken sitting atop potatoes and carrots and invite 3rd Great Grandmother Mary (Hazen) Ogden to sup with me. While enjoying coffee and Dutch apple pie, I’d share what I learned about her and ask if she would tell me about herself. If only I could act out this scene.

Mary Hazen was born about 1801 in Orange County, New York and married Gilbert B. Ogden Jan. 11, 1817 in Brookfield (Slate Hill), Orange Co., New York. They began a family and became the parents of fifteen children.  Gilbert passed June 6, 1848 at the age of 52 in Wantage, Sussex Co., New Jersey.

My research highlights Gilbert B. Ogden’s military service during the War of 1812; how glad I was to find Mary benefited by selling bounty land acquired from Grandfather’s service. See my blog post Gilbert, Mary and the War of 1812 for all the details.

Then I delighted in finding Mary Hazen among the Old School Baptist Church membership rolls Oct. 7, 1815. MYSTERYMONDAY: 3RD Great Grandmother Mary (Hazen) Ogden was an Old School Baptist Lady discusses my findings.

 

Now I will introduce family lore that’s been passed down. Mary and Gilbert’s daughter, Harriet C. (Ogden) Clark, told her daughter Lillian (Clark) Hewitt that her parents ‘courted’ around Cuddebackville. (Cuddebackville is located about 10 miles north of Port Jervis, Orange County, New York near Otisville and Mount Hope.)

 

I noticed two of Mary’s sons—John Stewart Ogden and Joseph Stewart Ogden shared the middle name of Stewart. According to Tracy Elliot Hazen’s book, The Hazen Family in America, Edited for Publication by Donald Lines Jacobus, a John Hazen married Lizzie Stewart. John Hazen’s parents settled in Minisink, Orange Co., NY after leaving Connecticut. Could John Hazen and Lizzie Stewart be Mary’s parents? I don’t know but I’ve wondered about it for many years.

 

The Rootsweb WorldConnect Project holds Bonnie Stout’s work “Descendants of William Buchanan and Patience Hazen. Bonnie located earlier research proving Patience Hazen was a daughter of John Hazen and Elizabeth Stewart.

The author writes:

   "There is very little known about Patience Hazen, before she married William Buchanan. One record has Patience was born in Scotland and the other ones being born in New Jersey, Sussex County. We are led to believe it was New Jersey as it was found on death certificates of her son Robert's and her own. Patience's death certificate states she was born in Sussex County, New Jersey, daughter of John Hazen and Elizabeth Stewart, both being born in New Jersey, Sussex County. Patience Hazen was born May 25, 1804 and died Feb. 11, 1885, her death certificate states, some records from relatives state it was 1884. She died in Chemung County, New York at Elmira and was buried in Woodlawn Cemetery located in the City of Elmira, bounded by Bancroft Road, West Hill Street and Davis Street and Woodlawn National Cemetery on the other side. It is a very large cemetery and is well kept.”

Sussex County, New Jersey borders Orange County, New York making Patience Hazen a lady of great interest to me. Could Patience and Mary be sisters? Fellow researchers please help if you can.

Serendipitous? Let’s hope so.

Source for Bonnie Stout’s Research
William Buchanan and Family; Author: Dolezal, Mildred Huff & Kildow, Lorraine Dolezal; Publication: Compiled and privately printed Fall, 1973; Note: Compiled and printed by Dolezal & Kildow, R.R. #3; Omaha, Nebraska; Repository: Copy owned by Janie Stout;
Media: Manuscript



After Dinner
Bernard Hall
Google Art Project/Wikimedia Commons


4 comments:

  1. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could interview our ancestors? I bet Mary would have a lot to add to your history. One dinner probably wouldn't be enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary could come every night for dinner! Thanks for stopping by Melody

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed reading your post. When I finished it, the thought occurred to me that your desire to act out the scene of your dinner with Mary would make a good short story. Just how would that scene play out . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That scene hasn't been written yet Liz but I sure do hope it won't take me too long to find out

      Delete