Pages

Tuesday, August 1, 2023

Cornelius and Thomas McFall, Feb. 12, 1808, Albemarle Co., VA

 

On September 13, 2022, I began my post “Starting Over with 4th Great Grandfather Thomas McFall” with the following paragraph:

McFall family researchers have been studying Cornelius McFall as a possible father for Great Grandfather Thomas McFall for at least twenty years. I have been among that group for quite some time. While I successfully gathered records for Cornelius, I have struggled to find any documentation linking Cornelius and Thomas.

I still have not found documentation establishing Cornelius and Thomas McFall as father and son. However, I do have a recently discovered Albemarle County, Virginia deed where Cornelius and Thomas acted as witnesses to a land sale. Although I’m still lacking proof for my line, I’m pleased as this indenture places Cornelius and Thomas at the same place and same time.

The Albemarle County, Virginia deed was made February 12, 1808, between Benjamin Davis of the 1st part, Claiborne Rothwell of the 2nd part and Nimrod Branham of the 3rd part. All were residents of Albemarle County.

Benjamin Davis owed Nimrod Branham sixty-five pounds, seven shillings and mortgaged his 45 acres to Claiborne Rothwell to pay the debt. If Benjamin Davis did not pay Clairborne Rothwell by May 1, 1808, Rothwell could sell the 45 acres for money owed.

The indenture was signed, sealed and delivered in the presence of John R. Jones, Thomas Rothwell, Cornelius McFall and Thomas McFall. The agreement was produced at Albemarle June Court 1808.

I’m including images from the Albemarle County, Virginia Deed Book 16, pages 313-315 below that I acquired from Familysearch.org website.

                                                       

Albemarle Co. VA Deed Book page 313 (bottom of page)


Albemarle Co. VA Deed Book pages 314-315

No comments:

Post a Comment